Windows 7 CompatibilityiScreensaver 5 is designed for the future: modern operating systems that offer high performance hardware-based support of audio-visual playback with quality driver software. Mac OS X 10.10 and Windows 10 both provide this foundation.
However, as of this writing (May 2016), there are still quite a few older computers running older operating systems, and Windows 7, in particular, is one of concern.
Please note that Windows 7 is now in "End of Life" status. Although many users are still using it, official Microsoft Mainstream Support for Windows 7 has already been terminated as of January 13, 2015. For more on all of Microsoft's end-of dates, see Windows Lifecycle Fact Sheet.
Because of the complexity of Windows 7 support in terms of both hardware, software, and drivers, we have adopted the following position:
- iScreensaver Designer 5 will make screensavers that are not prohibited from running on Windows 7, however such support is on an ad-hoc basis. We do not officially support the use on screensavers built with iScreensaver Designer 5 on the Windows 7 operating system. However, as a practical matter in our testing, iScreensaver Designer 5 works on most Windows 7 systems, and in many cases gives better results than the older iScreensaver Designer 4.5
- If you need to support legacy machines (including Windows 7), we recommend you consider purchasing the iScreensaver Designer 5 Site License as this comes with a free Unlimited license for iScreensaver Designer 4.5, which supports Windows XP to 7. You would then distribute a separate Windows 7 release.
- If you want to try using iScreensaver Designer 5 to make screensavers for Windows 7, we offer the following advice:
Make sure the Windows 7 machines are fully up to date:
- Run Windows Update and do all available updates.
- Update Internet Explorer to Version 11. Some of the features of iScreensaver rely on the HTML5 rendering engine that is present in IE11. If you need help upgrading to IE11, click here: Download IE 11 for Windows 7.
- Upgrade your OpenGL Drivers.
- Make sure that Aero Glass is enabled.
- Test thoroughly: iScreensaver Designer is available as a fully-featured trial download.
- Large images and video with high frame rates may not work as easily or as beautifully.
- Make sure to test the screensavers on actual Windows 7 hardware before distribution.
- iScreensaver offers fully-featured trial downloads before purchase.
- Make sure to test the screensavers on end users' Windows 7 hardware before distribution.