[Solved] Security Update 2020-005 breaks swift-based screensavers
It appears that Security Update 2020-005 is causing trouble with Screen Savers which are built using the Swift Runtime, which includes screensavers built with iScreensaver, as well as others.
Symptoms: after updating to Security Update 2020-005 on macOS 10.14 Mojave:
- Swift-built screensavers no longer funcion
- You will get a blank screen when the screensaver activates the first time.
- After the first time, the screensaver will revert to the default macOS screensaver
- Attempts to view the screensaver in System Preferences / Desktop & Screen Saver will give a blank page
- Crash logs indicate that the com.apple.preference.desktopscreeneffect.screeneffects.remoteservice process is crashing
We are investigating the issue and hope to have more soon.
In the mean time, if you are using any swift-based screensavers on macOS and want to run the 2020-005 Security Update, we recommend you temporarily switch back to one of the default macOS screensavers until this issue is resolved.
Alternatively, you could delay installing Security Update 2020-005, but it's generally not a good idea to skip security updates like this.