iScreensaver version 6.8.5 has a number of bugfixes and improvements, including fixes for several issues that could cause issues when running under macOS Ventura 13 (currently in beta, soon to be released) Authors distributing screensavers for macOS clients should update, re-build, and re-distribute their screensavers. Authors only supporting Windows clients can upgrade at their convenience.
[Solved] Security Update 2020-005 breaks swift-based screensavers
It appears that Security Update 2020-005 is causing trouble with Screen Savers which are built using the Swift Runtime, which includes screensavers built with iScreensaver, as well as others.
Symptoms: after updating to Security Update 2020-005 on macOS 10.14 Mojave:
- Swift-built screensavers no longer funcion
- You will get a blank screen when the screensaver activates the first time.
- After the first time, the screensaver will revert to the default macOS screensaver
- Attempts to view the screensaver in System Preferences / Desktop & Screen Saver will give a blank page
- Crash logs indicate that the com.apple.preference.desktopscreeneffect.screeneffects.remoteservice process is crashing
We are investigating the issue and hope to have more soon.
In the mean time, if you are using any swift-based screensavers on macOS and want to run the 2020-005 Security Update, we recommend you temporarily switch back to one of the default macOS screensavers until this issue is resolved.
Alternatively, you could delay installing Security Update 2020-005, but it's generally not a good idea to skip security updates like this.